© 2009-2016 VAcee ~ All Rights Reserved
The photographs on this website are the sole property of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any manner without written consent.
Please ask for permission if you would like to use them.

Sunday, August 29

241/365


I am sure I told the story of this flower before - but I feel like sharing it again - just in case. The above flower is called Sedum, or as I learned "Live Forever."

As a young girl, my best friend and I would walk around the neighborhood and give names (of countries) to the houses we passed - trying to imagine what certain countries looked like.

An older gentleman's house had a fenced in yard on the corner. The house was set in the back left of the lot and so thru the metal fence we could easily see the front and side gardens. They were meticulously maintained and beautiful! We gave this house the name Sweden. I guess we imagined that Sweden must be a place of beauty like this home was. He had such a variety of plants and flowers, we were overwhelmed, and sometimes would just stand and watch him carefully take care of them all.

Sedum was everywhere. It was my favorite.

Once while walking with my dad, I pointed out the house and how much I liked that specific flower.

I guess after I was married and moved away, Dad became friends with the man. I remember that he - remembered my love for the Live Forever, and told the owner of the house, because the man gave my dad a huge portion of the plant - to plant at my parents home.

My dad passed away in July of 1995 and my mom in January of 2001. We had to sell their home. By that time the Live Forever had taken strong root and was growing very nicely in the backyard. My husband and I were back living in Western New York at that time, and so I took a couple of the plants.

Today they grow strong and healthy in my front flower bed - and every time I look at them I am reminded of the promise that I will live eternally with my Father in Heaven someday and with my Dad as well.


5 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Good morning, Valerie!

I did not know this plant was also called "Live Forever". Very sweet story!

A while back, I posted a sentimental story about sedum too. Here is the link: http://gratefulprayerthankfulheart.blogspot.com/2009/06/show-and-tell-friday-vintage-plant.html

This plant is a little trouper and I have divided it so many times to fill up empty spots all over my yard.

The plants that were given to me from family or friends hold a special joy. We have a tree or bush that "became" one of the kids when little and have since grown to maturity but remains "theirs". Recently a blogging friend dug up a piece of a day lily growing in her garden and sent it to me. It bears her name and I know I will think of her every time I see it.

Wishing you a blessed day!
Lorraine

Dorothy said...

That's a beautiful story!! I like that plant, too! And I especially like the bibical promise.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a beautiful story... I have some Sedum --and mine is different. It's name is Autumn Joy Sedum --and it hasn't bloomed yet...

Love the fact that we do LIVE FOREVER in Jesus Christ our Lord... Thanks be to God!
Hugs,
Betsy

Karin said...

What a beautiful story! I've loved giving and getting perennials when I still had my gardens! Each plant always had a story. I love the verse you've chosen for it!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What a touching story.