© 2009-2016 VAcee ~ All Rights Reserved
The photographs on this website are the sole property of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any manner without written consent.
Please ask for permission if you would like to use them.

Tuesday, May 15

May 15, 2012


On Mother's Day, my husband and 3 sons went with me to a local park, "Chestnut Ridge." The place holds many memories for me. As a kid, my parents would take us there in the winter for sledding, and winter church picnics (with hot chocolate and hot dogs).  My husband and I even went cross country skiing there, early on in our marriage.

Funny, I have lived in this area my whole life (except the 3 years in Virginia Beach) and I never heard of the "Eternal Flame" which is in the same park.

My middle son was telling us about it on Sunday and so we decided to take a drive. It was about a mile hike into see the flame behind a waterfall (it is actually a place where methane gas is released into the air - but because where the place it breaks thru the surface at - is in a cave behind a water fall, it is protected from the wind and can be lit with a match.

Well  - I didn't make it to the flame, the trail got pretty steep, and if you know me - I am a klutz. I was afraid of falling. So I handed my camera to Zach and asked him to get some photos of the flame - and Justin and I headed back to the car.

All around us were beautiful trees! The greens and the browns were so refreshing (I love spring and new growth).  But the roots were amazing too. I have to wonder if it is because of so many people walking the trail - that the roots are above the surface of the ground  - but it makes for a wonderful photo - and some contemplation.

When I was growing up - we sang a song at church called "I Shall Not Be Moved"
The lyrics as I remember them are:

I shall not be, I shall not be moved
I shall not be, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree that's planted by the water
I shall not be moved.

There are several verses - but that one is often at the forefront of my mind.
 I remember it specifically as I think on the verse from Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Planting the seed of faith in our children, and nurturing it as they grow - helps to develop those deep roots.  When the storms come and troubles are on the horizon - those roots pull them back to their faith to help them stand firm and hold on.

My roots are deep. My parents nurtured them, and they matured as I grew. There were tough times when I remember being able to stand strong in my faith - because my roots were deep. I had weathered many a storm before and seen how God had brought me through.

It's never too late to work on developing  a deep root system.
I don't want to be blown over in the next storm. I want to stand firm and strong in the strength of my faith. It is my roots that help me to do that.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

What a beautiful verse and photo...I'm so glad you had parents who nurtured and planted that seed of faith. Do you ever wonder what your life would be without?