© 2009-2016 VAcee ~ All Rights Reserved
The photographs on this website are the sole property of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any manner without written consent.
Please ask for permission if you would like to use them.

Friday, May 6

May 6, 2011 (109/365)


Thank you for all your kind words and birthday wishes yesterday. It was a wonderful day and better evening. We were supposed to have a baseball game - but we have had soooo much rain lately - even though the sun was shining beautifully - the game was postponed to a later date.

So off to the Olive Garden we went - where even eating just half of my dinner (Chicken Parm) was a huge number of calories( I really did send the other half home with my oldest son) - but as my husband said . . . it was just one day - and oh so yummy!

But back on the straight and narrow today! I am trying not to look at this as a diet, but as a life change - and well - celebrations are part of life - and we can have a little extra once in a while. (btw - I am down 30 pounds now!!)

I was so glad to have all 3 of my boys with us last night. And so we have come to Friday once again - and next up is Mother's Day on Sunday. So how does this post relate to that?

The quote above I found at the end of the book I just finished reading "Mine is the Night" the sequel to "Here Burns My Candle" by Liz Curtis Higgs. A fabulous retelling of the story of Ruth and Boaz and Naomi - this time in the Scottish Highlands in the mid 1700's. I love Christian fiction! So uplifting and encouraging!

Back to the quote - and the bleeding heart. My bushes are not in full bloom this year (yet) so this is a photo from last year - My mom first introduced me to this flower. She had a bush in her garden - and well - I have always associated it with her.

I think I have come to realize that when we are teary eyed - with broken hearts - that is when we perhaps might be most open to the comfort and strength of an awesome heavenly Father - I saw that over and over again in the two books - and thru out my life as well. In those times we are most willing to accept Him and allow Him to work in our lives.

So many often ask, why do bad things happen? Perhaps it is when we are most vulnerable, that He can make the most difference.

Hope you have an awesome Friday and wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

Janice K said...

What you have just expressed is so true.

Karin said...

Miss my gorgeous bleeding heart bush! My mom was a great gardener too - we had much in common! Lovely post and lovely picture!

LDH said...

Sending belated Happy Birthday wishes to YOU! Sounds like it was a very special one!

Lovely photo of the bleeding heart ~ my plants did not return this year after having them for like 20 years! Not sure why.

The quote is amazing. I know full well that sorrow and hard times are the very things God used to grow us but my silly heart still finds it hard when I or dear friends must walk that path.

Stacey Dawn said...

Sending you Happy Belated Birthday wishes!

I agree with your post.... through tears and brokenness comes strength.

Dorothy said...

Beautiful blog post. Love the flowers and quote. Belated Happy Birthday wishes!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I totally agree,that when we are atour lowest,God can show Himself best.

Anita Johnson said...

Hi Valerie! I have so missed stopping by your blog while I was at my moms for a week and a half. I love the bleeding hearts too. I can see the green stems just poking through the leaf mulch! I was hoping for lilacs this spring, but once again the deer have eaten all the tops off. I'm hoping that next year they will be just out of reach! What did you decide about traveling this summer?

Tracy said...

Valarie,
Happy Belated Birthday to you...my husband's b'day was on Wed. so it is a very special month :)