© 2009-2016 VAcee ~ All Rights Reserved
The photographs on this website are the sole property of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any manner without written consent.
Please ask for permission if you would like to use them.

Wednesday, April 20

APril 20, 2011 (93/365)

White Goose at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo, NY ~ April 19, 2011


Went digging for more genealogical clues yesterday over at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo, NY. I had been there about 9 years ago, when I first started getting into the family history. But then it was all laid to rest for about 8 years until the renewed interest in the past few months.

While there, I did come upon the "Hastings" Family plot, where my great grandma from Germany is buried along with 6 of her 7 children. My grandfather is buried in Florida, where he died. The last person buried in this plot was in 1979, and yet someone still cares for the site, planting flowers. We must have a cousin who is living in the area.

My great grandmother's husband (yes ... my great grandfather) is buried on the other side of the cemetery. All alone. Kind of sad. I remember my mom saying that her dad never allowed them to even visit him, because he had hurt his mother so badly.

Solomon was truly wise, when he said,

"What has been will be again,
What has been done will be done again;
There is nothing new under the sun."
(Ecclesiastes 1:9)

Sometimes I think I worship my problems. When they are constantly in the forefront of my mind, and I am overwhelmed with them, my focus has been removed from God and all He has done for me. As I learn more and more about my ancestors, I see they may have lived in a different time, with different conveniences, but I also see that they had the same kind of 'people' issues that we all deal with today.

Today will have issues to be sure. Some of them probably really tough for some of us. Me? I want to keep my focus on God and what He has set out and accomplished for each one of us. My worship is Him, not the little (or big) issues that will present themselves to me today. No, nothing will happen today, that He and I can't handle together, if I let Him help me and guide me. I pray now for the strength to live these words.

4 comments:

Janice K said...

Amen.

Karin said...

I sure like the way you've stated that today! Praying for strength.....

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Well stated, Valerie... WE all do need to keep God in the center of our lives --no matter how busy we are.

I too love Family History.. The more I do, the more I 'want' to do. The trouble is TIME. I need lots more time to keep on working on it... I seem to work on it in spurts....ha

Too bad about your Great Grandfather --but it sounds like he deserved what he got... Like you say, many things in life are the SAME as they were many years ago (usually relationships)...
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Leaning on God you and I can be victorious.It doesn't always feel like it but He will see us through.