© 2009-2016 VAcee ~ All Rights Reserved
The photographs on this website are the sole property of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any manner without written consent.
Please ask for permission if you would like to use them.

Wednesday, March 23

March 23, 2011 (74/365)


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,

"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,

plans to give you hope and a future"

Jeremiah 29:11


These are scary times in our town, our state, our country, and our world, wouldn't you say? How strange when you hear of so many losing their jobs and homes, it doesn't affect you (deeply) until it is someone you know. I am a music teacher in the public schools. You may not have heard, but New York State is just about as bad off as California. Just about bankrupt, but hey let's keep paying for all that pork ........ Let's keep spending money that we don't have Mr. President ...


Sorry, I digress. In looking to the future - and trying to save the state - the powers that be - have thought it most prudent to cut MILLIONS of dollars that go to the education of our children. Gee what do children need an education for anyway? They are only the next leaders of our country, they don't need to be educated, do they?


Well, that in turn has forced the school districts to find ways to deal with the fact that they do not have MILLIONS of dollars next year. So instead of cutting out administration and the GROSSLY DISGUSTING WASTE of paper and other supplies, they are cutting - go figure - teachers. And well - you DO know, that every child who comes out of school is going to be a doctor or engineer - right? We don't need the arts or athletics. You know, the things that make people feel, help people be healthy, you know, the things they learn to use to deal with life?


I learned yesterday that 4 elementary vocal music positions are in the plans to be cut for next year. I didn't hear about the middle school and high school music program yet, we have a meeting today after school. We are a K-12 department. All of us certified in Vocal and Instrumental music. They say they will cut from the bottom. There are 4 1/2 positions below me.


In all, they have advertised that 36 positions in our district are being cut. (NOT ONE ADMINISTRATIVE POSITION - and it takes about 3 of me to equal one of them). And oh by the way, our property taxes are going up too.


I am scared. (can you tell? I get negative when I am scared)


7 years ago, my husband lost his job. I was a stay at home mom. God made a way for us then. I was able to get this amazing job, and work for a year, when my husband could find nothing. He eventually found work - but, I had to keep working, too. A new normal for us. We always have just been able to make ends meet.


Earthquakes, tsunami's, wars, rumors of wars, floods . . . thousands have lost their lives.


I heard someone say, what else can happen - you know - I am not even gonna go there. I know I have my health, my children are healthy, we have a roof over our heads (for now anyway), and at least one of us has a job although who knows how secure his job will be.


Corrie ten Boom lost so much. After helping so many Jews to freedom from the Nazi's, she and her family were arrested. She lost her father and her sister in the concentration camps. She was released, come to find later, by a clerical error. All the other woman her age in the camp, were killed the week following her release.


She has been quoted many times (like the one above) and also here, "God does not have problems. Only plans." We sure can learn from our experiences (if we survive them). Life isn't easy. But God has promised never to forsake us or leave us. If God is for us, who can be against us?


Proverbs 3:5 and 6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.


So, I am trying to trust. It's so hard.




2 comments:

Karin said...

I hear you! I do like the way that you give yourself permission to articulate what your fears and anxieties are, but you also comfort yourself with the knowledge that God has made a way before, surely HE will make a way again! That's acknowledging your weakness and trusting on His strength! Awesome!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Uncertainty is so hard to deal with.I hear what you are saying about the misuse of money in school divisions.I could share all about it from where I stand.As lowly bus driver,my thoughts don't really count,but I see many ways they could go about saving dollars and the children would still get a good education.Hang on to God,He is more powerful than anything else.
Ruth