© 2009-2016 VAcee ~ All Rights Reserved
The photographs on this website are the sole property of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any manner without written consent.
Please ask for permission if you would like to use them.

Tuesday, January 4

January 4, 2011 (4/365)


So probably after reading the quote - you may have thought yes ... "Love your neighbor as yourself" from Romans 13:9 or Galatians 5:14. But this year - I am going to try not to repeat verses from last year. Now that I have said that, who knows what tomorrow will bring and maybe I will do just that - from last year - but I am going to try .

This passage from Romans was beautiful in context:

Romans 15:1-13 (I kept trying to cut it off but the whole text was so good)

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.” For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the Jews on behalf of God’s truth, so that the promises made to the patriarchs might be confirmed and, moreover, that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written:

“Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles;
I will sing the praises of your name.”

Again, it says,

“Rejoice, you Gentiles, with his people.”

And again,

“Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles;
let all the peoples extol him.
"

And again, Isaiah says,

“The Root of Jesse will spring up,
one who will arise to rule over the nations;
in him the Gentiles will hope.”

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.


4 comments:

Karin said...

Thank you for your focus on this beautiful passage today! Going off to work to please and build up some 'neighbors'! Today I feel just like the squirrel looks - chubby, lol!

Peggy (mazmagi) said...

Blessings Valerie,

What a precious photo of this squirrel!

You're right the passage in Romans 15 is wonderful. Thank you for sharing all of it!

However, I did not think of either Romans 13 or Galatians from the quote. What popped into my head comes from Luke 6:35-38! I thought of "judge not, lest you be judged" for the balance as in justice. But in that passage in also "give and it will be given".

From your choice, it looks like you were going more for "building one another up", which might be Romans 14:19 or 1 Thes.5:11... so as you can see the photo, scripture and quote you chose are the BEST! (after all its your creative expression)... I thought that it may benefit us if we share other scriptures that come to mind when reflecting on this.

From what you wrote, it appears you thought of the quote first. All I can say is that squirrel looks very well built up, sitting high and content, holding his snack.

May we also build each other up.

[I personally had trouble with being a people pleaser so if I look at just the first part as it reads ... that we should "please our neighbors," my focus needs to be "for their good." So for me, it is good to see the entire passage for context. This made me reflect on that weakness of mine. I realize that God wants us to put others before our own selfish ways, but many times the way of this world, people take advantage. Sorry, for going off on a tangent here, but I also thought how being a people pleaser I was looking for acceptance. And later, in this passage, we see "accept one another" as Christ.

As you can see this speaks to me... this entire passage does end with HOPE! How perfect!!!

"May the God of hope fill us with ALL joy and peace as we trust in Him, so that we may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

Peace and joy,
Peggy
ps...what version is this? I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts!

Ginny said...

Amen to this!!! And I love your picture of the squirrel.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

HI Valerie, After all of the years I spent working fulltime in the church, I learned that God wasn't telling me to take care of the world... Yes, we should help those in need--but we should help others learn to take care of themselves instead of just giving handouts to those who aren't willing to better themselves...

I am all in favor of helping someone who is truly in need, but I saw way too many people coming for handouts --who 'expected' it --and weren't willing to do what they could to get on their own, and quit expecting the world to take care of them...

There has to be a balance... Maybe I'm coming across as cruel--but I just saw way too many people taking advantage of the system, a system which is there to help those who truly are in need.

Hugs,
Betsy