© 2009-2016 VAcee ~ All Rights Reserved
The photographs on this website are the sole property of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any manner without written consent.
Please ask for permission if you would like to use them.

Sunday, January 16

January 16, 2011 (16/365)


My first thought when I looked at this image was the song: In the Bleak Midwinter.
Lyrics by Christina Rossetti (1830-1894) Music by Gustav Holst (1874-1934)

Lots of great recordings of this song on Youtube -
I love the instrumental by Loreena McKennit

Here is a LINK to James Taylor's version.
It's so easy to get caught up in the dreariness of this time of year. Here is the same area shot in the photo above - during a brighter time of year. (I need to practice more on capturing the blue sky on sunny days).


I did get the vividness in the greens (perhaps that is because I am in the blahs of winter right now). My thought to remember for today -

Jesus is the Light of the World
Even on dark dismal days - His Light shines bright within each one of us.
Spread some Sonshine today - there is a great need this time of year!


6 comments:

Dorothy said...

I love this post showing the same view at different times of the year! You are so right! God of the day is still God of the night! Sometimes when we are on the mountain tops it's eay to forget God, but when we are in the valleys of dispair we are quick to call on Him! Like the song Jeep likes to sing, "He was there all the time"!

Karin said...

I need color - but I know it will come again. Beautiful shot at both times of the year!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Great post, Valerie. I love that hymn, In the Bleak Midwinter. One reason is because I do love winter. It is bleak and dark and dreary --but there's just something about it that I enjoy. We love to hike when it's winter.

BUT--your picture showing all of that GREEN is wonderful also. Spring will be here --but we all just have to be patient... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Love these pictures and the reminder that God is still God,even on those cold dark days.Loreena McKennit grew up just a few blocks from where I live.Small world,isn't it?
BLessings,Ruth

GrandmaK said...

I love the contrast of the same scene. And that is such a wonderful song as well. I do enjoy James Taylor! Cathy

Anonymous said...

Blessings Valerie,

Such a beautiful contrast of seasons!
I love them both since I no longer have to worry about winter driving through blizzards or flooding in the spring!

I love the voice of James Taylor but I also enjoyed the instrumental by Loreena McKennit and the beautiful scenes in that video.

The quote of Christian Rosetti is true poetic justice to winter! But the best of the BEST was the scripture you chose from John 12 reminding us of the Light of the World so that we can press through the times of darkness or even the bleak winter, trusting in Him to make all things new. Thanks for this SON filled Sunday! Hope yours was SUPER!

I have so missed all your Intelligent Expressions this past week and hope I can catch up or check each day this week. I'm so glad that they are always here for me to look upon. They do make a reflective difference in my day and the scene lasts imprinted in my mind. Thank you for making SONday vivid and shining His Light into our days! Trudge on...

Peace, love and JOY,
Peggy